I-280/I-880/Stevens Creek Boulevard Improvements Project
Improvements are coming to the 280 / 880 / Stevens Creek Blvd. interchanges! The project began construction in late Fall 2012 and is estimated to be completed in Spring 2015. The purpose of this project is to improve safety and traffic flow on the freeways and local roadways in the vicinity.
- 06 05 15 North Side of Stevens Creek Boulevard Bridge Re-opens
- 05 27 15 Monday Night Traffic Signal Shutdown
- 05 24 15 Final Project Paving Begins
- 05 11 15 Signal Shutdown at Monroe & Stevens Creek
- 04 09 15 New NB I-280 to NB I-880 Direct Flyover Ramp Opens April 13
- Map Showing Project Improvements
- 03 25 15 Key Project Feature Almost Complete
- 03 16 15 Flurry of Nighttime Ramp and Lane Closures
The project proposes to improve traffic flow, safety and access between the Interstate 280 (I-280) and Interstate 880 (I-880) freeway corridors near Stevens Creek Boulevard, including modifications to the freeway-to-freeway intersection of State Route 17 (SR-17)/I-280/I-880 freeway interchange, as well as the adjacent interchanges at I-880/Stevens Creek Boulevard.
Specific improvements include:
Reconfiguring the existing full cloverleaf I-880/Stevens Creek Boulevard interchange to improve traffic flow in the surrounding interchange area by widening and realigning ramps, widening the overcrossing structure at Stevens Creek Boulevard over I-880, improving intersections and providing enhanced access for pedestrians and bicyclists.
Separating freeway-to-freeway traffic from local traffic by constructing a new direct connector from northbound I-280 to northbound I-880.
Constructing direct off ramps to Monroe Street from Southbound I-880.
To improve overall safety and traffic flow, enhance pedestrian friendly features along Stevens Creek Blvd., separate regional freeway-to-freeway traffic from local traffic and reduce queuing and traffic backups onto northbound I-280 from the connecting ramps to I-880 and Stevens Creek Blvd.
- CA Dept. of Transportation, District 4, 280 880 Stevens Creek Project Web Page
- I-880/Stevens Creek Boulevard Interchange Improvements Map
- NB I-280 to NB I-880 Direct Connector Map
- Environmental Process Documents and Reports Page
Upon completion, Caltrans will operate and maintain the improved highway interchanges. The City of San Jose will operate and maintain the local streets outside of Caltrans right-of-way limits.
Capital Cost/Project Funding
$62.1 million from a combination of federal, CMIA, City of San Jose, and VTA funds have been designated for the project.
|Right of Way:||Mid 2012|
|Construction Start:||Fall 2012|
|Expected Completion||Spring 2015|
|Draft Environmental Document Circulation:||April 18, 2011 to May 18, 2011|
|Final Environmental Document:||Summer 2011|