A New Year’s Resolution Good for You and the Environment12/27/2017 1:55 PM |
Every January, millions of Americans resolve to lose weight, save more money and stop smoking. Yet, by January 31, many of these resolutions are nothing but distant memories.
This year, why not make a pledge that’s good for you, the economy and the environment all in one resolution! In 2018, commit to riding public transit. Riding public transit has many benefits including:
- Less stress – Leave the driving to our light rail and bus operators.
- Increased exercise – Many riders walk to and from transit stations therefore making it easier to hit those 10K steps a day!
- More time to focus on YOU – Bills to pay? Emails to answer? Sit back, log on to VTA on-board WiFi and get it all done in the comfort of a bus or light rail train before you reach your destination.
- Reduced emissions – According to the American Public Transportation Association (APTA), public transportation use in the United States reduces the nation’s carbon emissions by 37 million metric tons annually.
- More money in your pocket – According to APTA’s Transit Saving Report, a two-person household can save, on average, more than $9,823 a year by downsizing to one car.
- Access to opportunity, service – Public transportation connects riders to employment and education opportunities as well as vitally important services such as health care and social services.