Santa Clara/Alum Rock
The Santa Clara/Alum Rock Bus Rapid Transit Project will provide limited-stop rapid transit service for 7.2 miles, from the Eastridge Transit Center to the Arena Station in downtown San Jose using Capitol Expressway, Alum Rock Avenue and Santa Clara Street. The Santa Clara/Alum Rock Project is the first of three lines, followed by the El Camino Real BRT and Stevens Creek BRT.
The Santa Clara/Alum Rock Rapid Transit service will include the following features:
- Special Vehicles – Equipped with green technology and comfortable, modern interiors
- Enhanced Stations – Attractive shelters, passenger amenities and advanced features
- Dedicated Lane on Alum Rock – East of 34th street BRT vehicles will travel in a dedicated median bus-way, separated from traffic to improve travel time
- Transit Signal Priority – Traffic signals stay green as the vehicle approaches the intersection for faster travel time
- High-Tech Communications – ‘Up-to-the-minute’ information through electronic message signs at stations and wireless capabilities
- Rapid Boarding – Ticket machines and all-door boarding means faster stops
- Fast, Frequent, Reliable – BRT lines will operate during the peak times with service every 10 minutes
Service would be provided at 11 stations:
| Downtown San Jose
| City Hall
|| Alum Rock
Project Cost and Funding
The total cost for the Santa Clara/Alum Rock Bus Rapid Transit Project is $114 million. The Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) allocated $90 million from State Proposition 1B funds specifically for the BRT project. The remaining $24 million needed for the project will be funded through the 2000 Measure A Transit Improvements Program.
|VTA Board approves Environmental Impact Report
||December 11, 2008
|BRT Buses available for circulation
||Fall 2013-Fall 2015
Santa Clara/Alum Rock Project Fact Sheet
How to reach us
For more information on the El Camino Real BRT Project or existing bus and light rail transit services, call VTA Community Outreach at (408) 321-7575, TTY only (408) 321-2330 or email email@example.com.