OverviewVTA's FLEX dynamic transit six-month pilot program will end on July 1, 2016. VTA would like to thank all the passengers who helped test our FLEX pilot program for “On-Demand” transit.
This was a pilot to test the viability of an on-demand transit service and the software to support it.
Through this innovative pilot we learned a great deal about the opportunities that exist to apply the on-demand software and service model and how we can integrate it into VTA’s transit services. And those who rode the service seems to love it!
Moises Olmedo, a software engineer at Cisco said “It’s perfect. I just walk outside my home, and the bus takes like five minutes to get there.” Other customer reviews through app post-ride ratings included this: "Great driver, great customer service, true professional."
We would like to thank Ridecell, our software provider, for their hard work on this project, and we look forward to continue exploring ways to apply technology to other concepts within public transportation.
Those who signed up for the service will be receiving a link to a survey regarding your experience using FLEX. Your input will be very valuable in helping us plan for future applications..
What Was FLEX?
- FLEX was an On-Demand, shared-ride public transit service. Other riders that had similar travel destinations were picked up and dropped off during the course of a ride.
- FLEX was ideally suited for smartphone users. Riders could use the app to request a ride.
- On the App – easiest
- On the Web - please visit vta.ridecell.com
Service Days & Times
- FLEX’s service area was approximately six square miles in North San Jose (surrounding VTA’s Tasman Light Rail Station)
- Boundaries were
- North – Route 237, Nortech Parkway & McCarthy Ranch
- South – Montague Expressway & Trimble Road
- East – Interstate 880 & McCarthy Boulevard
- West – Lafayette Street
- Monday – Friday; 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Peak Hours 5:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.; 3:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- The last Flex ride MUST be completed by 8:30 p.m.
- Single Ride - $2.00 (Off-Peak Hours)
- Single Ride - $3.00 (Peak Hours)
- Customers who fail to cancel a ride before the bus is dispatched or have failed to show up for their rides will be charged the regular fare.
What VTA fare can I use on FLEX?
Currently you must pay for your ride using an account that you set up on the FLEX app. Once you complete your ride on FLEX your account will be charged. FLEX does not accept Clipper cards, VTA Monthly Passes, VTA Day Passes, VTA Express Day Passes, Cash, Eco Pass nor any other VTA forms of fare.
How do I know if I’ve been assigned a driver?
You will be notified via text message when booking through the app. If booked over the phone, the customer service representative will let you know once you’re assigned a driver and their estimated time of arrival. You can also check out the web or app to see real-time updates about your requested ride.
How long does it take for my driver to pick me up? Can I track my driver?
It depends on trip requests at any given time. The web and app interface will show you an estimated time of arrival, based on the driver’s GPS location and current trip load.
Where will I wait for the FLEX bus? Are there bus stops?
X marks the spot! The app will provide you walking directions to the FLEX stop where you will be picked up. The stops are marked with FLEX floor decals.
Can I bring an Animal onboard FLEX?
- Only service animals are welcome on FLEX. The animal must be under the control of the passenger throughout the trip and while boarding and exiting.
- Service animals may sit on the floor or in the rider’s lap. Service animals may not sit in a passenger seat.
Can I contact the driver?
No, you cannot contact the driver, but you can determine the driver’s location through the real time mapping on the app.
If I cancel my ride request, then make another one, will my request go to the end of the request queue?
Yes, every time you cancel and resubmit a request, the process starts all over again. Your request will be put at the end of the queue and then be assigned to the next available driver.
I don't have a smart phone, can I create my account online?
Yes, you can create your Flex account through the web on this page.
*FLEX is a pilot program and the fare structure may change during and/or after this pilot program phase. Please continue to check this page for updates.
Reroute of Line 23: due to construction 2/22
Light Rail Service Impacts: 901: Bus Bridge from Almaden & Blossom Hill to Capitol 902: Bus Bridge from MIddlefield to Mtn. View
Bus Stop Repair Eastbound El Camino at Remington Drive: Temporary Bus Stop Closure/Relocation due to Construction
Bus Stop Closure on Santa Clara Street at 5th Street: Bus stop at Santa Clara & 5th Street to be closed temporarily for construction.