Skip to Main Content Skip to Side Navigation Skip to Top Navigation
Home>About Us>BOD>Board Minutes

Board Minutes


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

August 5, 2004

Minutes

1.

CALLED TO ORDER

The Regular Meeting of the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority’s (VTA) Board of Directors was called to order by Chairperson Gage at 5:32 p.m. in the Board of Supervisors’ Chambers, County Government Center, 70 West Hedding Street, San Jose, California.

  
2.

ROLL CALL

Members Present                                                  

Jim Beall, Ex-Officio                                                          
Cindy Chavez                                                           
David Cortese                                                                        
Patricia Dixon                                                   
Frederik Fowler
Ron Gonzales
Don Gage, Chairperson                                          
Pete McHugh
John McLemore
Joe Pirzynski, Vice Chairperson
Forrest Williams

Members Absent

David Casas
Pat Dando

Alternates Present                                                  

Breene Kerr                                                                 
Ken Yeager                                                            

Alternates Absent

Blanca Alvarado
Dennis Kennedy
Dolly Sandoval

* Alternates do not serve unless participating as a Member.

A quorum was present.

Board Member Cortese and Ex-Officio Board Member Beall took their seats at 5:33 p.m.

Peter M. Cipolla, General Manager, introduced VTA’s new Chief Financial Officer, Roger Contreras, and noted that the new Controller, Susan Stark, will begin employment with VTA the week of August 9, 2004.  Chairperson Gage welcomed Mr. Contreras.

  
3.

ORDERS OF THE DAY

There were no Orders of the Day.

  
4.

AWARDS AND COMMENDATIONS

A.         Employees of the Month for July 2004

Julia Jones, River Oaks, Administration; Gurpreet Singh, Cerone Operations; and Mary Jaime, Chaboya, Maintenance, were unable to attend.

Board Member McHugh took his seat at 5:35 p.m.

B.         Employees of the Month for August 2004

Chairperson Gage presented awards to Jennifer Lemus, River Oaks, Administration; and Tony Grijalva, Guadalupe Operations, as VTA Employees of the Month for August 2004.   Mary Romo, Chaboya, Maintenance, was unable to attend.

  
5.

PUBLIC PRESENTATIONS

Leon Talley, Interested Citizen, addressed the Board of Directors and directed attention to the hand-out he provided proposing that Bus Route #45 be eliminated and Route #62 be extended from the Penitencia Light Rail Station, east on Berryessa and run #45’s route.  He noted this would extend Route #62’s time about 12 to 15 minutes.

Chairperson Gage requested that staff review the proposal and provide a response to Mr. Talley.

  
6.

PAC Chairperson’s Report

Yoriko Kishimoto, PAC Vice Chairperson, provided a report on the June 10, 2004 PAC Meeting, highlighting: 1) Received a report from Matt Tucker, VTA Chief of Operations, regarding Community Shuttles/Small Capacity Vehicles; 2) Received City Groupings Reports; and 3) Discussed the report from the PAC BART Subcommittee composed of Members Brodsky, Kennedy, Kerr, Perry, and Chu. 

PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto stated PAC voted to recommend to the VTA Board the following:   a. Direct staff to simplify the strategic VTA Board financial discussion by preparing an executive summary of capitol project costs and funding sources, all expressed in present value, 2004 dollars.  This will have the desirable effect of removing any distortions caused by bonding costs, inflation, and discounted value of future income streams.  Further, PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto noted the PAC felt income streams should be clearly identified as either committed or subject to political action by third party agencies or governments; b. Initiate a process designed to result in a consensus driven “Plan B”, or “no new taxes” scenario or group of scenarios.  This process the PAC felt, would presumably involve careful consideration by all the various VTA stakeholders and then could be presented to the public as part of their consideration of any future election regarding a sales tax increase; and c. Forward a (revised version) of the spreadsheet entitled “REAL BART” compiled by Members Brodsky and Perry on June 9, 2004, as an example. 

PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto noted that the spreadsheet would be available the week of August 9, 2004.  She noted that PAC is requesting that the Board of Directors agendize the item at its August 13, 2004 Workshop Meeting.

PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto referred to the Grand Jury Report, noting that it is her understanding that a response is due to the Grand Jury by September 20, 2004.  She noted that a number of PAC Members felt strongly that the Grand Jury Report should be agendized at the August 12, 2004 PAC Meeting, because it would be the last opportunity for PAC to review the report in time to pass on recommendations to the Board by September 2, 2004.   PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto asked for Board direction and input on whether this would be a suitable topic for PAC at their August 12, 2004 Meeting.

Board Member McLemore noted that he is in support of all three issues brought forward by PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto.   He noted that it is his understanding recently that when members of the PAC have requested items to be placed on the agenda, PAC has been informed that this is not allowed by the rules.   Board Member McLemore queried as to why this one Committee, made up of an elected official from each city cannot control their own agendas.

PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto referred to the PAC bylaws, noting it says that the PAC will consider items as referred to by the Board.   She noted there has been quite a bit of discussion and request for clarification on whether PAC, the one forum in VTA where all 15 cities have a seat at the table, whether it would be appropriate for PAC to be able to bring issues to the Board’s attention and for consideration.   PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto noted that both the Board and staff have been very supportive of PAC having more of a policy role.

Board Member Gonzales noted that he does not know whether he could support or not support anything that PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto has brought forward, because he does not have any context.   It just seems to him that the PAC is now trying to find things to do, and he does not think it is a productive use of PAC’s time or staff’s time.   Board Member Gonzales noted that he thinks that the voters of Santa Clara have spoken as to how VTA is going to be governed, and until they change that, the Board of Directors is the body that is in charge of governing and directing VTA.  It is set-up with representation on a regional basis that is made up of cities.

Board Member Gonzales suggested the methodology of a six-month work plan for PAC that is mutually agreed upon, based on PAC input.   He noted that it would be helpful if the PAC Chairperson and VTA Board Chairperson met and discussed a methodology. Board Member Gonzales noted that he has no problem with PAC looking at the Grand Jury Report and having a discussion about the Report, but noted that the Board has not had a discussion about the Report and expects the Board will have a discussion at the September 2, 2004 Board Meeting. 

PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto indicated that Dolly Sandoval is the PAC Chairperson and noted that PAC Chairperson Sandoval has already started the work plan process.    She noted that at the beginning of the year, PAC Chairperson Sandoval asked what the various PAC Members, as cities, would like to see on the agenda.

Alternate Board Member Kerr referred to the question of the relationship between PAC and VTA Board of Directors.  He noted that it was his understanding that any possible restructuring of the Board and all issues that were looked at by a subcommittee of the Board were going to be tabled. This was going to be done while a new relationship developed between VTA Board of Directors and PAC in an attempt to find out if that would solve most of the issues that had been raised by the City of Milpitas and others who circulated a proposal to restructure the Board earlier this year.  Alternate Board Member Kerr noted that he thinks it is a good idea and the reason it is a good idea is because the PAC contains members from all the cities and the County, including a couple of cities that will never be VTA Board Members.  He noted there needs to be a better way of getting approval for agenda items, but expecting the Committee Chairperson to come up with all the agenda items that might possibly be discussed by such a body six months in advance is asking quite a bit, particularly on the issue of the response to the Grand Jury.  Alternate Board Member Kerr noted that PAC should be in control of its own agenda and recommended, at a future meeting, that the PAC bylaws be clarified and changed.

Vice Chairperson Pirzynski noted he is the Chairperson of the Ad-Hoc Restructuring Proposal Committee and the Committee will revisit the question at the end of this calendar year to see whether or not the city groupings and PAC actually evolve their processing to a degree that they are more significant than they were at the beginning of the question period.   He noted that he does not think there is any issue of PAC being able to establish its own agenda within the context of the bylaws.  He noted that there should be a clear delineation of a perimeter within which PAC needs to operate, so that it can be significant in its contribution.  He noted that the question of what is going to be occurring in the PAC discussion should be driven by some plan. 

Upon query of Vice Chairperson Pirzynski, Mr. Cipolla noted that VTA is subject to a Grand Jury review and subsequent report on an annual basis.   The process that has been followed on an annual basis is that the Board Chair and Vice Chair review the response, modify the response, and respond to the Grand Jury.   He noted that copies of the response are then distributed to the Board, PAC, Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), and other advisory committees.  He noted that it was VTA’s intent to try to get the response out before the end of the month.

Chairperson Gage referred   to the Ad-Hoc Financial Stability Committee agenda process and noted that a similar process has to be put in place for PAC, so that staff is not overwhelmed with work that interferes with any priorities already established by the Board.   He asked PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto to have PAC Chairperson Sandoval to contact him to discuss the matter.  He noted that he, Vice Chairperson Pirzynski, and Mr. Cipolla would have a meeting next week regarding the Grand Jury Report.   

Board Member Fowler referred to the Grand Jury Report and noted the value of PAC looking at the Report in a rigorous and formal manner, giving the Board advice about the Report.  He noted that he would like to see a process whereby PAC can give the Board advice as to how to interpret the facets of the Report and perhaps identify some of the Board’s options.

Chairperson Gage expressed concern regarding the time constraints involving the Grand Jury Report.  He noted that these kinds of issues should be discussed in a study session where there is more of an open forum with the Board and not a strict schedule.

Board Member McLemore asked if it was appropriate to have a minor discussion regarding the Grand Jury Report at the August 13, 2004 Board of Directors’ Workshop Meeting.

Suzanne Gifford, General Counsel, noted that Agenda Item #25 is reserved for Items of Concern and Referral to Administration and is the appropriate spot on the agenda to refer these items.

Chairperson Gage noted that PAC’s requests would be referred to Administration.

Alternate Board Member Kerr referred to PAC Vice Chairperson Kishimoto’s request that the Board agendize the discussion of the creation of a Plan B, or “no new taxes” scenario, at a future meeting.   He noted this is not a request for an action by the Board, but merely a request that it consider adding it to its agenda.

Chairperson Gage noted the requests would be done through the referral process and that the Board would refer the requests to staff.

  

CONSENT AGENDA

7.

Minutes of the Regular Board of Directors’ Meeting of June 3, 2004

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to approve the Minutes of the Regular Board of Directors’ Meeting of June 3, 2004.

  
8.

Minutes of the Joint Meeting of the VTA Board of Directors and Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors of June 4, 2004

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to approve the Minutes of the Joint Meeting of VTA Board of Directors and Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors of June 4, 2004.

  
9.

Minutes of the Special Board of Directors’ Meeting of June 17, 2004

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to approve the Minutes of the Special Board of Directors’ Meeting of June 17, 2004.

  
 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE (COW)

10.

Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee Reappointments      

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to ratify the reappointments of the following individuals to the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) for the term ending June 30, 2006: Bob Eltgroth representing the City of Morgan Hill; David Simons representing the City of Sunnyvale; and Bill Manry representing the City of Monte Sereno. 

  
11.

Citizens Advisory Committee Appointment

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to ratify the appointment of Donald R. Burnett to the Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) position representing the West Valley Cities. 

  
12.

Vasona Light Rail Project – Winchester Park & Ride and Campbell Parking Lot Improvements

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to authorize the General Manager to execute a contract with Golden Bay Construction, the lowest responsible bidder, in an amount of $2,354,187 for construction of the Vasona Light Rail Project Winchester Park & Ride and Campbell Parking Lot Improvements.   This contract is 1 percent federally funded. 

 

  
13.

Vasona Light Rail Project Amendment to Group 1 Light Rail Station Finishes Contract

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to authorize the General Manager to amend the total authorized funding for the Stacy and Witbeck, Inc. Group 1 Light Rail Station Finishes contract by an amount of $600,000 to accommodate delay impacts beyond VTA control for a new contract amount of $6,463,456.   This contract is 52 percent federally funded. 

  
14.

Legislative Positions: SB 1381 (Kuehl)

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to adopt a support position for SB 1381 (Kuehl), which implements the recommendations contained in the California Blueprint for Bicycling and Walking, a Caltrans report regarding the need for improving bicycling and walking infrastructure within the state. 

  
15.

Authorize the Award of the Contract for Substance Abuse Testing, Medical Review Officer and Medical Examination Services

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to authorize the General Manager to approve the award of a contract to U. S. Health Works for Substance Abuse Testing, Medical Review Officer and Medical Examination Services for three years with an option for two one-year extensions.   The contract value for the three-year period is $414,000. 

  
16.

FY 2004-05 Transportation Fund for Clean Air (TFCA) 60% Regional Fund Application – River Oaks Bicycle/Pedestrian Project Phase 2

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to adopt Resolution No. 04.08.12 authorizing filing an application with the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) for Transportation Fund for Clean Air 60 % Regional funds for the construction of Phase 2 of the River Oaks Bicycle/Pedestrian Project.   Authorize the General Manager to execute the funding agreement upon receipt from BAAQMD. 

  
17.

Contract Amendment with URS Corporation (URS) for Final Design and Design Support During Construction of the Route 85/87 Interchange Project

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to authorize the General Manager to amend the contract with URS Corporation for final design and design support during construction of the Route 85/87 Interchange Project, increasing the approved contract value by $110,865 for a new total contract value not to exceed $5,353,518. 

  
18.

Frances Street Transit Center Cooperative Agreement

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to authorize the General Manager to execute a cooperative agreement with the City of Sunnyvale for the transfer of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5307 Transit Enhancement funds for the City of Sunnyvale’s Frances Street Transit Center Project; and appropriate $222,500 from VTA’s FY 05 Capital Budget. 

  
19.

Palo Alto Intermodal Transit Center Cooperative Agreement

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to authorize the General Manager to execute a cooperative agreement with the City of Palo Alto for the transfer of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5309 Bus and Bus Facilities funds for the Palo Alto Intermodal Transit Center Project; and appropriate $309,384 from VTA’s FY 05 Capital Budget. 

  
20.

Procurement of Light Rail Vehicle Car Mover

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to authorize the General Manager to execute a contract with Mitchell Equipment Corporation, the sole responsive and responsible bidder for the purchase of a light rail vehicle car mover for $431,190. 

  
21.

Re-Roofing Building B at River Oaks

M/S/C (Gonzales/Chavez) to authorize the General Manager to award a contract to Peterson Dean Commercial, Inc., the lowest responsive and responsible bidder, for re-roofing Building B at the River Oaks facility for $289,145.

  
 

ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE COMMITTEE

 There were no items submitted for the Consent Agendaby the Administration and Finance Committee.
  
 

CONGESTION MANAGEMENT PROGRAM AND PLANNING COMMITTEE

 There were no items submitted for the Consent Agenda by the Congestion Management Program and Planning Committee.
  
 

TRANSIT PLANNING AND OPERATIONS COMMITTEE

 There were no items submitted for the Consent Agenda by the Transit Planning and Operations Committee.
  
  
 Go to Top
  
  

REGULAR AGENDA

  
  
 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE (COW)

22.

Contract Award for Construction of Palo Alto Caltrain Transit Center Project           

Jeff Funk, Deputy Director for Construction, reported as part of the Caltrain Service Improvement Plan between Gilroy and Palo Alto, the project will increase the capacity of the Palo Alto bus transit center by converting four existing standard bus bays to accommodate four articulated bus bays.  

Mr. Funk reported that VTA received four bids on July 6, 2004, for construction and the apparent low bidder was Golden Bay Construction.   VTA had a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) goal for this contract of 17 percent and Golden Bay Construction only committed to a goal of 3.7 percent.    Mr. Funk noted that in the subsequent evaluation of the various documentations Golden Bay Construction was required to provide, VTA determined that Golden Bay Construction did not demonstrate sufficient good faith efforts in meeting the DBE goal.

Mr. Funk referred to the second low bidder, Robert A. Bothman, Inc., and noted they did achieve and commit to a goal of more than the 17 percent required.   The amount was higher than the low bid, but it was mainly in the area of the structural steel and that was consistent with all of the other bidders. 

Mr. Funk reported that the additional funds would be coming from a contingency transfer from the Measure B Program and that VTA has consulted with Jeff Davis, Measure B Administrator, and he is concurrence.

M/S/C (McLemore/McHugh) to authorize the General Manager to execute a contract with Robert A. Bothman Inc., the lowest responsible bidder for the construction of the Palo Alto Caltrain Transit Center.   This project is funded 45 percent by the 1996 Measure B Transportation Improvement Program and 55 percent by Federal grant.

  
23.

Modification to Prequalification Scoring

Board Member Williams noted a lengthy discussion was held at the July 14, 2004, Committee of the Whole Meeting, and while it was agreed to proceed with staff recommendation, one caveat was to have overall safety information records for both regional and national performance remain part of the application process.   Only the regional information, however, would be part of the evaluation process.

M/S/C (Williams/Gonzales) to approve a modification to Section C of the Contractor Pre-qualification Program scoring criteria, which will recognize only those OSHA, Clean Air and other safety violations incurred by the Bay Area office of a contractor having more than one office. Contractors having more than one office, but none in the Bay Area would have all violations recognized for scoring purposes.   For these purposes, Bay Area is defined as the following counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, Sonoma, Santa Cruz, Monterey and San Benito.  Further, authorize sub-contractors nearing the end of their two-year pre-qualification period be allowed to re-qualify for an additional year by submitting a Validation Statement.   The Validation Statement will declare that the information on their previous Pre-qualification Application is correct and current.  These contractors will be notified before the end of this additional one-year period that they will be required to submit a complete Pre-qualification Application prior to the end of that year if they wish to be pre-qualified for a new full two-year period.

  
24.

Funding of Dumbarton Rail Corridor Project Environmental Studies         

M/S/C (Williams/Chavez) to amend the VTA FY 2004 – 05 Capital Budget to add $1 million for the Dumbarton Rail Corridor project, and further authorize the General Manager to execute an agreement for providing an amount not to exceed $1 million as VTA’s one-third local funding share of the cost of preparing the Dumbarton Rail Corridor Project Environmental Impact Statement and Environmental Impact Report (EIS/EIR); and further as recommended at the July 14, 2004 meeting, the Board Committee of the Whole recommended the EIS/EIR should include an evaluation of the use of the Santa Clara Caltrain Station as a Dumbarton Rail Corridor station.  This action does not endorse the long-term continuation of the current composition of the Dumbarton Rail Corridor Policy Committee as the governing body for the Dumbarton Corridor Rail project.

  
 

ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON'S REPORT - (See Agenda Item #27.B.)

 There were no items submitted for the Regular Agenda by the Administration and Finance Committee.
  
 

CONGESTION MANAGEMENT PROGRAM AND PLANNING COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON'S REPORT - (See Agenda Item #27.C.)

 There were no items submitted for the Regular Agenda by the Congestion Management Program and Planning Committee.
  
 

TRANSIT PLANNING AND OPERATIONS COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON'S REPORT - (See Agenda Item #27.D.)

 There were no items submitted for the Regular Agenda by the Transit Planning and Operations Committee.
  
  
 Go to Top
  
  

OTHER ITEMS

25.

ITEMS OF CONCERN AND REFERRal TO ADMINISTRATION

M/S/C (McLemore/Chavez) to refer PAC’s requests to Administration.

  
26.

LEGISLATIVE REPORT

 

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Legislative Report was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

  
27.

SUMMARY MINUTES FROM STANDING COMMITTEES

A.             Board of the Directors Committee of the Whole

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Board of Directors Committee of the Whole   Summary Minutes were accepted   as contained in the Agenda Packet.

B.             Administration and Finance Committee

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Administration and Finance Committee Notice of Cancellation was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

C.             Congestion Management Program and Planning Committee

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Congestion Management Program and Planning Committee Notice of Cancellation was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

D.             Transit Planning and Operations Committee

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Transit Planning and Operations Committee Notice of Cancellation was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

  
28.

REPORTS FROM ADVISORY COMMITTEES

A.               Committee for Transit Accessibility (CTA)

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Committee for Transit Accessibility (CTA) Report was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

B.               Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC)

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) Report was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

C.               Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC)

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) Report was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

D.               Technical Advisory Committee (TAC)

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Technical Advisory Committee Report (TAC) was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

E.                Policy Advisory Committee (PAC)

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Policy Advisory Committee (PAC) Report was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

 

Board Members Gonzales and Dixon left the meeting at 6:20 p.m.

  
29.

Chairperson Gage advised the Board Members that the Reports from the Joint Powers Boards (JPBs) & Regional Commissions were placed in front of them on the dais.

A.                Peninsula Corridor JPB

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Peninsula Corridor JPB Report was received.

B.                Capitol Corridor JPB  

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Capitol Corridor JPB Report was received.

C.                Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC)

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) Report was received.

  
30.

REPORTS FROM VTA POLICY ADVISORY BOARDS (PABs)

A.                Vasona Light Rail PAB 

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Vasona Light Rail PAB Report was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

B.                Silicon Valley Rapid Transit Corridor PAB 

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Silicon Valley     Rapid Transit Corridor PAB Report was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

C.                Caltrain PAB

There was no report from the Caltrain PAB.

D.            Downtown East Valley PAB  

Board Member Chavez provided a report that the Downtown East Valley PAB at its meeting on Thursday, August 5, 2004: 1) received two presentations and asked that staff return to the PAB on the recommendation as it relates to the Downtown East Valley Light Rail; 2) noted PAB essentially recommended light rail down east Santa Clara Street; and 3) accepted the report on the preferred alignment to be presented to the VTA Board regarding the Capitol Expressway component.

E.            Highway PAB – South

There was no report from the Highway PAB – South.

F.            Community Design Enhancements Committee (CODE)         

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the Community Design Enhancements Committee (CODE) Report was accepted as contained in the Agenda Packet.

G.            Dumbarton Rail Corridor Policy Committee

Alternate Board Member Kerr provided a report that the Dumbarton Rail Corridor Policy Committee at its meeting on Tuesday, July 20, 2004: 1) San Mateo County Transportation Authority project staff had been taking a look at the Dumbarton Rail and determined that it might be necessary to delay the beginning of service from 2010 to 2012.  It was the recommendation of the Committee that they reconsider that and that they move forward towards starting service in 2010; 2) discussed the feasibility of double tracking the Dumbarton Rail corridor; and 3) recommended that the Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group no longer be an active member of the Policy Committee, but to continue to be an active member on the Technical Advisory Committee. 

  
31.

REPORT FROM THE CHAIRPERSON

Chairperson Gage reaffirmed the appointment of Board Member David Casas as the VTA Representative to the 2020 Peninsula Gateway Study Policy Advisory Board.

  
32.

REPORT FROM THE GENERAL MANAGER

Peter M. Cipolla, General Manager, provided a report, highlighting: 1) memo sent out regarding summer 2004 ridership, noting the increased ridership on light rail; 2) opening of Tasman East/Capitol light rail line, noting that there are approximately 4,000 riders per day in just a month of operation.

  
33.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Board Member McLemore queried about the ridership numbers for the Baby Bullet Train out of the San Jose/Diridon Station.   Frank Sharpless, Government Affairs Manager, State and Regional, reported that Caltrain’s preliminary numbers for the first month, June of Baby Bullet service, show that average weekday ridership for June is three percent higher than average weekday ridership for June of the previous year.   Mr. Sharpless noted that it is the first month in 30 in a row where Caltrain ridership has gone up on a month of this year to month of last year basis.  He noted that Caltrain is analyzing how much of that is attributable to new riders and that a report should be available at the September 2004 Caltrain Board Meeting.

  
34.

ADJOURNMENT

On order of Chairperson Gage, there being no objection, the meeting was adjourned at 6:26 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

 

Tracene Y. Crenshaw, Board Assistant
VTA Board of Directors

 

NOTE:     M/S/C MEANS MOTION SECONDED AND CARRIED AND, UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED, THE MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

  
  
 Go to Top