Alum Rock-Santa Clara Bus Rapid Transit
About the Project
The Alum Rock/Santa Clara Bus Rapid Transit Project will provide just over 7 miles of limited-stop rapid transit service from the Eastridge Transit Center to the Arena Station in downtown San Jose using Capitol Expressway, Alum Rock Avenue and Santa Clara Street. The Alum Rock/Santa Clara Project is the first of three lines, followed by the El Camino Real BRT and Stevens Creek BRT.
- Special Vehicles – Hybrid, comfortable modern interiors, bike racks inside and outside the bus, and Wi-Fi on board.
- Enhanced Stations – Attractive shelters with weather protection, live schedule displays, and passenger amenities
- Bus Only Lane on Alum Rock – East of 34th street BRT vehicles will travel in a dedicated median bus-way, separated from traffic to improve travel time
- Transit Signal Priority – Traffic signals stay green as the vehicle approaches the intersection for faster travel time
- Fast, Frequent, Reliable – BRT lines will operate during the peak times with service every 10 minutes during peak commute time
Service would be provided at 11 new stations:
|Downtown San Jose||King||Ocala|
Project Cost and Funding
The total cost for the Alum Rock/Santa Clara Bus Rapid Transit Project is $148 million. The Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) allocated $90 million from State Proposition 1B funds specifically for the BRT project. The remaining $58 million needed for the project will be funded through the 2000 Measure A Transit Improvements Program.
|VTA Board approves Environmental Impact Report||December 11, 2008|
|Final Design||Spring 2013|
|Project Completion (Anticipated)||Early 2017|
Project Fact Sheet
VTA Community Outreach
Phone: (408) 321-7575
TTY only: (408) 321-2330
VTA Project Information Office (Alum Rock Construction)1592 Alum Rock Avenue
San Jose, CA 95116
Office Hours: Tuesday through Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Field Office Phone: (408) 929-2990
VTA Project Information Office (Downtown Construction)VTA Customer Service Center
55 W-Santa Clara Street
San Jose, CA 95113
Office Hours: Monday, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m, and Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Field Office Phone: (408) 464-7865