Alum Rock-Santa Clara Bus Rapid Transit
About the Project
The Alum Rock/Santa Clara Bus Rapid Transit Project will provide just over 7 miles of limited-stop rapid transit service from the Eastridge Transit Center to the Arena Station in downtown San Jose using Capitol Expressway, Alum Rock Avenue and Santa Clara Street. The Alum Rock/Santa Clara Project is the first of three lines, followed by the El Camino Real BRT and Stevens Creek BRT.
- Special Vehicles – Hybrid, comfortable modern interiors, bike racks inside and outside the bus, and Wi-Fi on board.
- Enhanced Stations – Attractive shelters with weather protection, live schedule displays, and passenger amenities
- Bus Only Lane on Alum Rock – East of 34th street BRT vehicles will travel in a dedicated median bus-way, separated from traffic to improve travel time
- Transit Signal Priority – Traffic signals stay green as the vehicle approaches the intersection for faster travel time
- Rapid Boarding – All-door boarding means faster stops
- Fast, Frequent, Reliable – BRT lines will operate during the peak times with service every 10 minutes during peak commute time
Tree Lighting and Santa Photos Event December 16
Many came out for the event on the cold night and drank Hot Chocolate and Mexican Sweet bread (Pan Dulce from Mexico Bakery) and Cup Cakes (from Sweet Passions) .
Check out the Santa Claus pictures with the public here.
Date: Dec. 16 (Friday)
Place: 1592 Alum Rock Ave (VTA project office)
Time: 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. – FREE Pictures with Santa Claus and refreshments
Tree Lighting: 6:30 p.m. Ceremony with Supervisor Cindy Chavez and Council Member Magdalena Carrasco
Invite to The Holiday Tree Lighting Event Flyer (English and Spanish)
Service would be provided at 11 new stations:
|Downtown San Jose||King||Ocala|
Project Cost and Funding
The total cost for the Alum Rock/Santa Clara Bus Rapid Transit Project is $148 million. The Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) allocated $90 million from State Proposition 1B funds specifically for the BRT project. The remaining $58 million needed for the project will be funded through the 2000 Measure A Transit Improvements Program.
|VTA Board approves Environmental Impact Report||December 11, 2008|
|Final Design||Spring 2013|
|Project Completion (Anticipated)||Early 2017|
Project Fact Sheet
VTA Community Outreach
Phone: (408) 321-7575
TTY only: (408) 321-2330
VTA Project Information Office (Alum Rock Construction)1592 Alum Rock Avenue
San Jose, CA 95116
Office Hours: Tuesday through Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Field Office Phone: (408) 929-2990
VTA Project Information Office (Downtown Construction)VTA Customer Service Center
55 W-Santa Clara Street
San Jose, CA 95113
Office Hours: Monday, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m, and Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Field Office Phone: (408) 464-7865