Alum Rock-Santa Clara Bus Rapid Transit
About the Project
The Alum Rock/Santa Clara Bus Rapid Transit Project provides just over 7 miles of limited-stop rapid transit service from the Eastridge Transit Center to the Arena Station in downtown San Jose using Capitol Expressway, Alum Rock Avenue and Santa Clara Street. The Alum Rock/Santa Clara Project is the first of three proposed lines, followed by the El Camino Real BRT and Stevens Creek BRT.
- Special Vehicles – Hybrid, comfortable modern interiors, bike racks inside and outside the bus, and Wi-Fi on board.
- Enhanced Stations – Attractive shelters with weather protection, live schedule displays, and passenger amenities
- Bus Only Lane on Alum Rock – East of 34th street BRT vehicles will travel in a dedicated median bus-way, separated from traffic to improve travel time
- Transit Signal Priority – Traffic signals stay green as the vehicle approaches the intersection for faster travel time
- Fast, Frequent, Reliable – BRT lines will operate during the peak times with service every 10 minutes during peak commute time
The Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) has achieved substantial completion of construction along the corridor. VTA began running our Route 522 BRT buses in the median lane on May 2, 2017 and had ambassadors assisting passenger the first week at our new BRT stops. We now have signage to inform passengers waiting for Route 522 BRT buses to wait in median bus stops at King Rd. and Jackson Ave. VTA has been successfully working out small issues with signal timing along the corridor and will continue to remedy signal timing issues. VTA will be working on final completion details by end of September 2017. Updated aerial photos of the corridor are on the Construction Update page.
You can contact VTA community outreach at (408) 321-7575 or go to the VTA Customer Service Center in downtown San Jose 55-A West Santa Clara Street San Jose, weekdays: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. and closed weekends and most holidays.
Service is provided at 11 new stations:
|Downtown San Jose||King||Ocala|
Project Cost and Funding
The total cost for the Alum Rock/Santa Clara Bus Rapid Transit Project is $148 million. The Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) allocated $90 million from State Proposition 1B funds specifically for the BRT project. The remaining $58 million needed for the project was funded through the 2000 Measure A Transit Improvements Program.
|VTA Board approves Environmental Impact Report||December 11, 2008|
|Final Design||Spring 2013|
Project Fact Sheet
VTA Community Outreach
Phone: (408) 321-7575
TTY only: (408) 321-2330
VTA Customer Service Center55 W-Santa Clara Street
San Jose, CA 95113
Office Hours: Monday, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m, and Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Field Office Phone: (408) 464-7865