Capitol Expressway Light Rail Project
This project will extend light rail to the Eastridge Transit Center with elevated structures at Capitol Avenue, Story Road, and Tully Road. The Eastridge extension will include LRT stations at Story Road and Eastridge.
Capitol Expressway Light Rail to Eastridge is part of the larger Capitol Expressway Transit Improvement Project that transforms Capitol Expressway into a multi-modal boulevard offering bus rapid transit (BRT), light rail transit, and safe connections to the regional transit system. VTA first addressed pedestrian access and improved safety measures along the expressway between Quimby Road and Capitol Avenue. This was completed in Fall 2012 and included new sidewalks, street lighting, and a landscaping buffer. Next was the reconstruction of the Eastridge Transit Center which was completed in 2015. The last portion will extend light rail from the existing Alum Rock Light Rail Station to the Eastridge Transit Center.
|(click for full size image)|
- In June 2016 VTA Board of Directors approved funding to complete design, acquire right of way and relocate utilities.
- Construction is dependent on Board of Directors approval of funding/financing plan.
Project ScheduleEnvironmental Studies 2016-2017 2016-2018
Right of Way 2016-2018
Utility Relocation 2017-2018
Construction 2019-2022 *
* Contingent upon funding availability
Project Cost$377 Million for design, right of way, utilities and construction.
Fact Sheets and Environmental Reports
- Fact Sheet (English) pdf
- Previously Approved Environmental Documents and Reports Page
- Current Environmental Documents and Reports Page
- Notice of Availability for the Supplemental Draft EIS (pdf)
- The Final Subsequent Mitigated Negative Declaration is available for your review. Please select SMND to open the link.