|PLEASE HAVE EXACT CHANGE READY WHEN BOARDING|
|Cash Fares (exact change, Clipper Cash or EZfare)||Prepaid Fares|
|Single Ride||8-Hour Light Rail Pass||Clipper /EZFare Day Pass||Clipper Monthly Pass||Annual Pass Subscription|
|Adult (for regular bus or light rail) click to see routes by type||$2.25||$4.50||$7||$80||$880|
|Adult Express (for express line service) click to see express routes||$4.50||N/A||$13.50||$160||$1760|
|Youth (5-18) ★||$1||$2||$3||$30||$330|
|Seniors (65+)/Disabled/Medicare Reduced Fare: To qualify for the S/D/M fare, you must present one of the following: a Medicare Card, Regional Transit Connection (RTC) Discount Card or a valid card from another California transit provider, DMV Disabled License Plate registration, DMV Disabled Parking Placard printout, or proof of age (65 and older).
★ A valid picture I.D. may be required. May ride VTA Express Bus service without an upgrade. Children under 5 years ride free.
|The Day Pass Accumulator feature ensures the Clipper® cash rider will never pay more than the price of a Day Pass.
Just load your Clipper card with cash, tag it upon boarding, and once you’ve paid the equivalent of a Day Pass, any further local rides that day will be free.
- Payment for a single ride with Clipper or EZfare (VTA's Mobile ticketing App) will be valid for 2 hours of FREE transfers across VTA buses and light rail. Express bus fare is required for any trip that includes express service. Adult passengers traveling from a local bus to an express bus will have to pay a surcharge of $2.25:
- Clipper card users must pay the surcharge in the form of Clipper cash (only).
- EZfare users must pay the surcharge in the form of cash.
- Youth and Senior/Disabled riders who transfer from local to express service will not have a surcharge.
- Express Fares are for Express Bus Lines
- Monthly passes are valid for the calendar month purchased; they are not a 31-day pass
- Monthly passes are available for purchase from the 16th of the previous month through the 15th of the pass month.
(i.e. a monthly pass for July is available for purchase from June 16th through July 15th)
- Monthly passes purchased on or after the 16th of the month are valid for the following month only
- Customers must have valid fare before boarding light rail
Failure to comply with VTA's fare policy is in violation of California Penal Code 640. Violation of California Penal Code 640 is punishable up to the maximum penalty allowed by law.
If you have been cited for not having valid fare and need information on how to pay the fine, you can use the Santa Clara County Public Access Traffic Case Information Website. Information can be found by citation number or searching by name.