Fare Changes and More for 201812/29/2017 2:13 PM |
On January 1, 2018, VTA implemented a new fare structure and made improvements on specific transit services. VTA’s new fare policy includes Youth Fares dropping from $1.75 to $1.00 per ride and Adult Fares changing from $2 to $2.25 per ride.
Free TransfersThe new fare structure includes free transfers for two hours between all VTA vehicles for riders who purchase a single ride fare on Clipper® or VTA’s new EZfare mobile app.
Adults transferring from VTA Regular Bus or VTA Light Rail to a VTA Express Bus pay a surcharge of $2.25 on Clipper. Youth and Senior/Disabled riders may board VTA Express Bus without a surcharge.
VTA is holding outreach events in January at select transit locations. Staff will be handing out FREE Clipper cards while supplies last.
In addition, improvements on select VTA bus and light rail service will take effect as follows:
- Frequency will increase from 30 minutes during midday to every 15 minutes during the week.
- Evening hours of service extending during the week from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Earlier service hours on weekends, with Saturday beginning at 6 a.m. instead of 8 a.m., Sunday service beginning at 6 a.m. instead of 9 a.m.
- Later service hours on weekends, with Saturday service ending at 11 p.m. instead of 10 p.m. and Sunday service ending at 10 p.m. instead of 6 p.m.
- Monday through Friday, frequency will increase midday from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes.
- Between 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. weekdays, evening service will increase from approximately every 30 minutes to every 20 minutes, after which service will operate hourly until midnight instead of approximately 10 p.m.
- Saturday frequency improves from every 30 minutes to approximately every 20 minutes and Sunday frequency improves from 45 minutes to approximately every 30 minutes. Evening hours will also be extended on the weekend with Saturday service ending at midnight instead of approximately 9 p.m., and Sunday service ending at 11 p.m. instead of approximately 8 p.m.
For more details, please visit VTA's fare page.