VTA’s approximately 2,100 employees work under the direction of a 12-member Board of Directors comprised of elected representatives from the County of Santa Clara and the cities within it. VTA is organized into divisions focused on various aspects of our role as Santa Clara County’s comprehensive transportation planning, funding, congestion management, construction and service provider.
Office of the General Manager
Oversees all VTA functions, programs, services and activities.
VTA General Manager
Chief of StaffThe Chief of Staff is responsible for supporting the VTA Board of Directors and Committees as well as developing and maintaining relationships with Board and Committee members.
- Board of Directors and Committee support
- Agendas and related materials oversight
- Official Board records
Government & Public RelationsGovernment & Public Relations maintains positive relations with news media, engages with community members in traditional and digital media, and promotes VTA services with eye-catching graphic design. The division also coordinates VTA's legislative and intergovernmental programs at the federal, state, regional, and local levels.
- Government Affairs
- Communications and Media Relations
- Digital Communications
- Creative Services
- Community Outreach and Public Engagement
- Business Development and Innovation
Business ServicesThe Business Services Division partners with the rest of the divisions at VTA to provide, timely, reliable and career enhancing services to our customers.
- Employee Relations
- Human Resources
- Labor Relations
- Risk Management and Safety
- Procurement and Contracts
- Customer Service
Engineering & Transportation Infrastructure DevelopmentThis division is responsible for the design and construction of capital projects required to provide a safe, reliable and efficient transportation system for the Santa Clara County, including VTA's rail, facilities and highway improvement programs.
- BART to Silicon Valley Program Development and Construction
- Capital Projects Controls
- Construction Contract Compliance
- Transit Facilities Design and Construction
- Highway Construction
- Capital Program Design and Construction
- Survey and Mapping
- Engineering Support
Planning & Program DevelopmentThis division is responsible for VTA’s role as Santa Clara County’s Congestion Management Agency and manages comprehensive transportation planning activities. Primary functions include:
- Congestion Management Agency
- Environmental Analysis
- Programming, Highway & Administration
- Transit Oriented Development
- Grants Management
Finance & BudgetAdministers systems to measure and manage VTA funds and report financial information.
- Financial Accounting
- Budget & Analysis
- Real Estate and Joint Development
- Disbursements and Payroll
- Fare Programs and Systems
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Financial Planning, Debt and Investments
OperationsProvides approximately 115,000 bus and rail trips every weekday.
Approximately 1,700 employees are based at VTA's three bus operating divisions and a light rail operating division. Their primary functions include:
- Bus and Rail Operations
- Vehicle and ADA Facilities Maintenance
- Paratransit Planning and Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility
- Service and Operations Planning and Reporting
- Technical Training
System Safety and SecurityThis division ensures that VTA’s transit system remains safe and secure for our customers, employees and members of the public. It is also responsible for ensuring that customers pay the appropriate fare on our buses and trains.
- Safety Management
- Protective Services
- Contracted Sheriff Services
- Fare Enforcement
Office of the General Counsel
Serving at the direction of the Board of Directors, represents the VTA in legal proceedings and provides legal counsel and services to the VTA.