Clipper on VTA
Attention: Special Clipper Card Offer
Don’t miss out on your chance to receive a FREE Clipper Card!
Clipper outreach teams will be handing out FREE Adult Clipper Cards at transit stations across the Bay Area. To get a free card, visit a VTA location near you; view and download the complete list of dates and locations.
Buy a Clipper Card at a Ticket Vending Machines
VTA riders can now purchase an Adult Clipper card and load value in the same transaction from Ticket Vending Machines (TVM) on select light rail platforms.
Passengers can also purchase, replace, load, and check balances on Clipper cards at VTA's Downtown Customer Service Center.
Where to Purchase and Load Value on a Clipper Card
- New! Purchase an Adult Clipper Card at a Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) on select light rail platforms or load value at any TVM. This video explains how to buy a Clipper card from a VTA ticket vending machine.
- On-line at ClipperCard.com.
- At a local Walgreens and at participating Clipper retailers.
- At VTA Ticket Office locations:
VTA River Oaks Headquarters
3331 North First Street and River Oaks, San Jose 95134 (Bldg. B - Lobby)
8 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday
VTA Downtown Customer Service Center
55-A West Santa Clara Street San Jose, 95113
9 am - 6 pm Monday - Friday
Persons with qualifying disabilities can apply for a Regional Transit Connection (RTC) Clipper Card. Holders of the RTC Clipper Card automatically receive appropriate Senior/Disabled fares. For more information go here: http://www.vta.org/getting-around/Regional-Transit-Connection-RTC-Card
How the Day Pass Works on Clipper
VTA’s Day Passes are available on Clipper®; printed day passes are no longer sold on board buses, or at light rail ticket machines.
Clipper makes it easy to receive a day pass. Just load your Clipper card with Clipper Cash, then tag every time you ride VTA bus or light rail.* You’ll be charged for the rides you take, but your total fare for the day can’t go higher than what you pay today for a printed day pass. So you don’t need to pay up front for the day pass, but you are guaranteed to get the benefit of a day pass when you need it. Clipper will automatically give you the best fare deal for every day that you ride. We call this the “Day Pass Accumulator” because you just pay as you go until you’ve paid for your day pass!This is how it works for ADULTS:
- Load your Clipper card with Clipper Cash.
- Tag your Clipper card every time you board a VTA bus or light rail vehicle*. Clipper will automatically deduct appropriate fare from your card’s Clipper Cash balance.
- Once you’ve paid the equivalent of $7.00 in fare for the day, you have earned a day pass and all your local bus or light rail rides for the rest of that day will be free of charge. Clipper will automatically cap your day’s fare at $7.00, so you may see Clipper deduct less than the standard fare if you’re close to the daily maximum. If you are eligible for a transfer credit (such as a transfer from AC Transit or BART to VTA), the value of the transfer credit will count toward your day pass.
- Once you have paid the equivalent of $13.50 in fare for the day, you have earned an Express day pass and all your rides on any VTA bus or light rail vehicle will be free of charge for the rest of that day. Please note – Clipper does not provide any credit towards Express Bus fares until $13.50 in Clipper fares have been paid. Day Pass fare upgrades are not available on Clipper.
- Load your Clipper Card with Clipper Cash.
- Tag your Clipper Card every time you board a VTA bus or light rail vehicle*.
- Once you’ve paid the equivalent of $3.00 in fare for the day (Seniors/Disabled/Medicare) or $3.00 (Youth), you have earned a Day Pass and all your rides on any VTA bus or light rail vehicle will be free of charge for the rest of that day.
Note for Single Ride Clipper Riders
- Payment for a single ride with Clipper will be valid for 2 hours of FREE transfers across VTA buses and light rail. (Express bus fare is required for any trip that includes express service. Adult passengers traveling from a local bus to an express bus, using a Clipper card, will have to pay a surcharge of $2.25. This amount must be in the form of Clipper cash only. Passengers cannot pay this surcharge in cash. Youth and Senior/Disabled riders who transfer from local to express service will not have a surcharge.)
Per VTA Board Approved Fare Policy: No refunds shall be made for purchased passes. Lost or stolen Day Passes or Monthly Passes shall not be replaced.
More Clipper Information
Bank Account Information
It is not required to have a bank account to use Clipper. However, United Way provides low-income Bay Area residents with free financial and career coaching and education through SparkPoint.
Downloadable Fact SheetsYou can download the following fact sheets in the following languages:
Reroute of Lines 66, 68 & 82: due to Wonder Woman Run Series in Downtown San Jose 10/21
Temporary Bus Stop Relocation: for lines 88, 88L & 88M 10/15 - 11/2
Long term reroute for line 25: due to construction at Valley Medical Center in San Jose 10/15
Permanent Bus Stop Closure: for lines 63, 64, 65, 72, 73, 81 & DASH 10/2