Safety: Light Rail Rider Safety
Light Rail Rider Safety
Light rail is a great way travel. Trains are fast, operate along a dedicated right of way and often get traffic signal priority to help speed you along your way. Though riding light rail is a very safe form of transportation, passengers should be aware of their surroundings and practice good safety behaviors.
Here are some good safety practices:
- Jay walking is illegal and can be especially dangerous to do in front of a train. Look both ways before cross train tracks only at designated crossings.
- Pay Attention to your surroundings, look up from your electronic devices and remove your headphones while traveling near train tracks.
- Stand behind the yellow line on the platform edge while waiting for trains.
- Always assume trains can come from either direction at any time of night or day.
- Ensure you have your fare ready prior to the trains approach.
- Don't run to catch a train. Running to catch a train can be dangerous, especially if the operator is departing the station.
- If you need to speak to the operator, press the intercom button.
- Take your seat quickly when you board to avoid the risk of falling when the train leaves the stop. If you must move about the train while it's in motion, use the hand rail fixtures.
- In the event of an emergency, follow the operator’s instructions as there may be a hazardous condition outside the train.
- Walk your bike or skate board while on the platform.
- Store bicycles in bike racks
- Do not lean on doors as they can open from either side.
- Crossing gates maybe activated for more than one train. Wait for all warning lights to complete their cycle before crossing the tracks.
VTA supports the efforts of the Stanford Women's Coalition in their efforts to help stop street harassment.
Reroute of line 68: in Gilroy due construction 6/18 - 6/27
Temporary Bus Stop Closure: for line 66 in Milpitas 6/18 - 8/27
Light Rail Service Disruption: June 22-23, Bus Bridge for 901 & 902, north & southbound between Karina and Santa Clara stations.
Cottle Parking Lot Closed for Repaving: No Parking at the Cottle Light Rail Station June 22, 23, and 29.