Now that 2016 Measure B funding is free to be disbursed to needed projects, Santa Clara County residents will see an uptick in transportation infrastructure construction.
That work includes the highway interchanges at Mathilda Avenue in Sunnyvale between highways 101 and 237, a long-awaited project that got started this month, and local transportation leaders and elected officials that helped get it to this point are celebrating.
On March 22, 2019 a ceremonial ground breaking will take place on the north bound side of US 101 at Mathilda. Senator Jim Beall, who’s Senate Bill 1 is chipping in a hefty portion of funding for the project, will be present as will Sunnyvale electeds and VTA leaders who’ve been working to make these improvements a reality. Among the improvements being made to help ease the heavy traffic congestion in the area are:
- Three continuous lanes in each direction;
- Continuous bicycle and pedestrian facilities;
- New signals at the US 101 interchange ramp intersections including new access to north bound US 101 from south bound Mathilda Avenue;
- Realigned and widened north bound US 101 diagonal off-ramp providing access to both directions of Mathilda Avenue;
- Access to north bound Mathilda Avenue via new signal intersection;
- Improved access at Mathilda Avenue signal intersections; and
- Westbound ramps and Moffett Park Drive (West) will be consolidated to one signalized intersection.
When driving through the construction area, be alert, be patient and slow for the cone zone! Find project and construction updates here.
Other helpful tips to get you through the construction phase:
- Commuters are encouraged to carpool or use transit. Companies are also encouraged to stagger work times or allow telecommuting to reduce the peak period traffic volumes.
- Traffic will not be adversely affected by lane closures during the commute periods.
- During ramp closures, traffic will be directed to use designated detours to minimize delays.
- Drivers who wish to avoid the construction area along Mathilda Avenue are advised to use Fair Oaks Avenue and Ellis Street crossings of US 101 to reach their destinations.
Friday, March 22, 2019, 10:30 a.m.
Sheraton Hotel Sunnyvale Parking Lot
1100 N. Mathilda Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA
RSVP by March 18 via Eventbrite