This article was contributed by VTA Environmental Planner III Lani Lee Ho
Did you know Americans throw away 25% more trash between Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day than any other time of the year? Holiday food waste to wrapping paper and packaging contribute to an additional 1 million tons a week to our landfills.
Luckily, there are a few ways you can help reduce your environmental footprint while celebrating with co-workers, family, and friends.
- Make it easy for your guests to recycle and compost at gatherings by providing bins with signs on what goes where.
- Use plates, glasses, and cutlery that can be washed and re-used.
- Skip disposable table covers and opt for more durable decorations that can be reused each year.
- Enjoy your favorite holiday drink in a reusable cup. Write a note to help you remember to BYOC.
- When choosing gifts, upcycle, shop local, or give the gift of an experience, such as event tickets or memberships.
- Ride VTA to holiday fun.