Construction Access Permits

Register and submit Construction Access Permit applications online

Mail or deliver checks to

VTA Permits
3331 N 1st Street, Building A
San Jose, CA 95134


A Construction Access Permit (CAP) is required prior to commencing any surface, underground, or overhead construction work that meets any of the following conditions:

  • Located within VTA properties or facilities
  • Located within 10 feet of any rail that is part of VTA’s Light Rail System, including the Overhead Catenary System (OCS)
  • Has the potential of affecting VTA property, services or assets

BART may require a separate permit, if the work will affect, or is within, property located within BART’s Operating Easement within VTA property.

The permitting process includes an online application, fees, VTA plan review, and required compliance with VTA insurance and background security check standards. Once an access permit is issued, a VTA construction inspector will be assigned to inspect portions of the project covered by the permit.

VTA also performs Underground Service Alert (USA North 811) locating services to identify VTA underground utilities consistent with California law.

To inquire about the status of a Construction Access Permit, please contact VTA Permits:
(408) 321-5856

What are examples of work requiring an access permit?

Examples of work requiring a permit may include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Installation of underground or overhead facilities.
  • Performing any work over, under or within VTA property or facilities, such as Cerone Division, North Division, River Oaks Division, Guadalupe Division, Chaboya Division, park and ride lots, light rail, transit centers, bus stops, etc.
  • Excavating or boring (directional boring or jack and boring) across VTA's Communication System Ducts, Light Rail System or properties.
  • Excavating or trenching through an existing VTA concrete bus stop pad.
How long does the permit evaluation process take?

The process takes approximately 14 working days from the date that all application requirements are completed and received by VTA. However, if further information is required or the project requires additional review, the review process may take longer.

What is a Restricted Access Permit, and when is it required?

A Restricted Access Permit (RAP) is managed by the VTA Operations Control Center (OCC) to ensure the safety and operation of VTA’s Light Rail System.

A Restricted Access Permit is required when workers, or their equipment, have the potential of or are actually working within 10 feet of the Light Rail Tracks/System, over/under any OSC, or other VTA rail. Depending on the nature of the work, the Restricted Access Permit may be in lieu of, or in addition to, a Construction Access Permit. 

All Restricted Access Permit grantees are required to attend OCC’s Railway Worker Protection (RWP) training. Please contact OCC at (408) 546-7667 for information on how to apply.

What VTA policy governs access permits?

Construction Access Permits and Restricted Access Permits are governed by the VTA Permit Policy, dated October 7, 2004,

Document Number, CO-PL-0001, Version Number 03, as amended.