You can perform the following transactions on Ticket Vending Machine:
- Purchase an Adult Clipper card for $3 at select light rail platforms
- Load Clipper e-cash value, VTA Monthly Pass, or other transit agency passes
- Purchase a 2-Hour Single Ride Pass*
- Purchase a an 8-Hour Excursion Pass*
- Redeem a VTA Token for a Day Pass
*Valid on light rail only.
All 153 ticket vending machines at light rail stations have now been upgraded to accept contactless payment, including both chip and contactless credit/debit cards, Apple Pay, and Google Pay. The newly installed tap-to-pay readers speed up the credit card transaction process so you can quickly buy tickets, passes, or reload Clipper cards and be on your way. For more information, please visit our blog post.
VTA operates on a proof-of-payment system. Please present your valid ticket when requested by a Fare Enforcement Officer.
Using a Ticket Vending Machine:
- Select one of the following options on the screen:
- "2-Hour Single Ride" - valid for two hours from the time of purchase on light rail only
- "8-Hour Excursion Pass" - valid for eight hours from the time of purchase on light rail only
- "Buy an Adult Clipper Card" - New! Customers may purchase a Clipper card for $3 and load Clipper cash value or passes in one transaction.
- "Add Value to my Clipper Card"
- "Use Tokens" - place a VTA Token into the coin slot to exchange for a Day Pass valid for day of purchase on bus and light rail
- Insert payment. machines accept coins, $1, $5, $10, $20 bills, day pass tokens, and credit and debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express).
- Collect your ticket, Clipper card, change, and/or receipt for credit/debit transactions.
Note: ticket vending machines are not Clipper readers, so riders must still tag their Clipper card before boarding a light rail vehicle.