The Regional Transit Connection (RTC) Discount Card is a version of the Clipper card issued to persons with disabilities that entitles the bearer to ride for the appropriate Senior/Disabled fare.
The discount card makes it easy to demonstrate eligibility for the reduced fare on fixed route bus, rail, and ferry systems throughout the bay area. The application fee to apply for or renew a RTC Discount ID Card is $3.00 and is non-refundable.
With the RTC card you can buy discounted VTA Senior/Disabled monthly passes using Clipper or load cash value onto the card to pay reduced fares.
Riders who have a Regional Transit Connection Clipper card can currently use the card to pay for fares on VTA, Caltrain, SamTrans, AC Transit, BART, Muni, Golden Gate Transit and Ferry. Riders who use transit agencies that do not accept Clipper can use the RTC card as proof of eligibility for reduced fares.
- Complete the application form for either "Basic" or "Medical" eligibility (described above). Incomplete applications will not be accepted. The original application is required, copies will not be accepted.
- Bring the application with you. Do not mail it in.
- Present a valid photo identification - such as a current driver's license, California Identification Card, passport, Alien Registration Card, Military Identification Card or Military Dependent Card (originals only).
- Pay the appropriate fee:
- $3.00 New, renewal, or visitor
- $5.00 Replacement
- These fees are non-refundable
Your photograph will be taken when you submit your application. Eligibility will be verified later, and your Discount ID Card will be mailed to you within 21 days. If you haven't received your card or a request for more information in the mail within 21 days, contact Customer Service at (408) 321-2300.
Upon receiving your RTC Card, you are immediately eligible for reduced fares on all participating public transit systems. No additional proof of eligibility is required, but you must show the RTC Card at the time you pay the fare.
Where to apply for a RTC Discount card
VTA Downtown Customer Service Center
55-A West Santa Clara St
San Jose, 95113
Monday - Friday 9 am to 6 pm
VTA River Oaks Administrative Offices
3331 N. First Street at River Oaks
San Jose, 95134
Located in the Building B lobby.
Monday - Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
Gilroy Senior Center Site Visits
VTA staff will be on site at the Gilroy Senior Center on the following dates from 11 to 11:30 a.m.
- How Long Is the Card Valid?
RTC Discount cards are valid for a maximum of five years. You must renew your card at each expiration even if your disability is permanent.
Your card may be valid for less if
- Your medical professional determines otherwise
- Your eligibility is tied to a qualifying document that is valid for a shorter period such as a DMV placard (2 years)
- You used a card from another transit agency as proof of eligibility.
Renew early so there is ample time to receive your card in the mail before it expires.
You may renew up to 60 days prior to expiration. Allow at least 21 days for mailing of the RTC Discount Card.
The RTC Program no longer issues cards to seniors (age 65 and over). The Senior Clipper card offers the same features and discounts, with no application fee, and does not expire.
The Senior Clipper card is available at our Downtown Customer Service Center or River Oaks Administrative Offices.