Countywide Bikeways Map
VTA publishes and periodically updates a map of bikeways in Santa Clara County, available on our Maps page.
VTA Bike Rules & Regulations
The following is a summary of VTA's policy for bicycles on VTA vehicles and at transit facilities. Please follow these bicycle rules and regulations onboard VTA buses and light rail vehicles and within VTA transit facilities.
- No additional fare is required, but bicyclists shall have paid appropriate fare.
- Only human powered and sealed dry or gel cell electric assisted bicycles are allowed.
- Bicyclists shall not block aisles, stepwells or doors of any bus or light rail vehicle.
- Bicyclists shall avoid getting chain and sprocket grease on the bus, light rail vehicle and other passengers. No muddy bicycles shall be permitted onboard at any time.
- Other passengers shall be allowed to enter and exit first before a bicyclist boards or deboards the bus or light rail vehicle with their bicycle.
- Bicyclists shall always walk bicycles on passenger platforms at transit centers and on light rail station platforms.
- Bicyclists shall not chain bicycles to poles, light standards, pillars, etc. at transit centers or on light rail station platforms.
- All bicycles not taken on buses and light rail vehicles shall be parked off transit center and light rail platforms in bicycle racks or lockers.
Bicyclists are responsible for securing their bicycles in the exterior bike rack.
Bicycles may be permitted on buses at the driver's discretion when:
- The bus does not have a fully operational bicycle rack
- The exterior rack is filled
A maximum of two bicycles shall be permitted inside the bus if the passenger load permits the safe boarding, deboarding and stowing of the bicycle.
Bicyclists shall be responsible for attending their bicycles when bringing them inside the bus.
Light Rail Vehicles
The maximum number of bicycles allowed inside a light rail vehicle is six. Up to four bicycles can be accommodated in the racks provided, with two additional bicycles allowed to stand on the floor in the center section (turntable area) of the vehicle.
All bicycles must be boarded through the center doors of each car, and are restricted to the designated area in the center section of the vehicle.
Bicyclists are responsible for securing their bicycles in the racks provided. Bicycles not secured in the racks must be attended by the cyclist.
Bike commuters have access to secure bike parking systemwide. Bike racks and bike lockers have been installed in nearly all VTA Park & Ride lots and Transit Centers and bike parking demand is continuously monitored.
VTA provides 500 bike lockers at light rail and Caltrain stations, Park & Ride lots and transit centers for the use of transit riders. There is no charge for a bike locker rental. However, a $25 refundable security deposit is required.