Youth Outreach Program
VTA's Youth Outreach Program (YOP) is an exciting and unique program designed to encourage Santa Clara County students to learn and experience the benefits of public transportation.
The program is divided into two program elements: the Class Presentation and Class Pass Program.
A fun classroom program that partners VTA with teachers to educate students about how to safely use VTA service. Students learn about common transportation etiquette, such as the “do's and don'ts” of riding public transportation. Presenters spend additional time teaching older students how to read bus schedules and plan trips. Students view a fun, educational transit video that teaches them the rules to ride. The classroom program gives students many benefits, including the tools they will need to make it easier when they travel on VTA buses and light rail.
Contact VTA's Youth Outreach Coordinator with your preferred date and time for the presentation. Please allow 40 minutes classroom time for kindergarten through third grade and 60 minutes classroom time for fourth grade and above. VTA's YOP coordinator will give you alternative dates if your requested time is not available. We will confirm your class presentation appointment one week prior to the scheduled time. (Please limit each presentation to a maximum of two classes in order to maximize the students’ learning experience.)
VTA Youth Outreach staff reaches tens of thousands of students and hundreds of classes in Santa Clara County each school year through our Class Presentation Program.
Class Pass Program
VTA's Class Pass program allows teachers, grades K - 12, within Santa Clara County the opportunity to take their students on field trips using VTA services at no cost.
Each teacher is eligible to receive up to two “class passes” every school year for VTA services to visit museums, cultural events, libraries, and other popular destinations for free. The Class Pass Program transports over 50,000 teachers and students during each school year.
Please follow the steps below in order to sign up for the Class Pass program:
- Complete the Class Pass Field Trip Application form at least three weeks before your trip. You will receive an email you confirmation when the form is completed.
- Two weeks before your trip, you will receive your special itinerary and two tickets for your group, teacher and chaperones.
- On the day of your trip, simply show the operator your pass and you are on your way!
- Due to the high volume of scheduling requests, we may not be able to accommodate request that are received with less than three weeks advanced notice.
- Only one request per semester
- Tickets are good for the entire class, adults, and chaperones at Santa Clara County elementary, middle and high schools.
- Class passes are not transferable
- You must travel on the date stamped on your pass
- If you have to reschedule, please contact our office. We’ll do our best to accommodate the date and times you want to travel
Please reach out to YOP@vta.org or call the Youth Outreach Program Line at (408) 321-7500 for questions or concerns