Clipper on VTA
Get Clipper on Your Phone
Use Apple Wallet or Google Wallet to set up a new card on your phone or transfer an existing card—and get immediate access to funds.
Buy a Card Online
Order online and your plastic card will be mailed directly to you. You can load one-time value or set up automatic reloading (allowing you to avoid the $3 card fee).
Buy a Card in Person
Find the nearest retailer, self-serve machine or staffed location to buy an adult Clipper card. You can add value when you buy.
Clipper Mobile APP
- Use the Clipper mobile app to manage your account which includes setting up autoload; view all your activities; or report lost or stolen plastic cards.
- A virtual Clipper card that is in your mobile wallet can be tagged and used just like a plastic Clipper card.
- When using a TVM, a virtual Clipper card acts just like a plastic Clipper card. You can set your device on a TVM and add cash value/passes or use coins, cash or a credit card to add value.
Purchase/Add Value Where to Purchase and Load Value on an Adult Clipper Card (plastic card)
- At any Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) on all light rail platforms. Ticket Vending Machines accept cash, debit or credit cards. Video: How to buy a Clipper card from a VTA Ticket Vending Machine
- At work through your employee transit benefit program. If ordered online, available by the first day of the benefit month.
- Reload Clipper Online, In Person, or on your phone
Purchase, Replace, Load Value and Check Balances at VTA locations
- VTA River Oaks Headquarters3331 North First Street and River Oaks, San Jose 95134 (Bldg. B - Lobby)
Open Monday - Friday 8:30am to 4pm
- VTA Downtown Customer Service Center
2 North Market Street, San Jose CA 95113Open Monday - Friday 9am to 6pm
Youth and Senior Clipper Cards
Youth ages 5 through 18 and seniors age 65 and over are eligible for a free Youth or Senior Clipper card. Riders using these cards automatically receive Youth or Senior fare discounts on monthly passes, ride books, tickets, cash value fares and transfers.
Visit ClipperCard.com for more information and to download an application.
Regional Transit Connection Clipper Card
Persons with qualifying disabilities can apply for a Regional Transit Connection (RTC) Clipper Card. Holders automatically receive appropriate Senior/Disabled fares.
How to Use Your Clipper Card on VTA
Tag Your Card
To use your Clipper card, locate the Clipper card reader at the entrance of the VTA bus or light rail station (next to the Ticket Vending Machines) and hold your card flat against the Clipper logo until you hear a beep. Customers must tag their Clipper card before boarding a light rail vehicle.
The card reader will also show the cash balance remaining on your card or the expiration date of your pass. When transferring to a second or third light rail vehicle or bus to complete your trip, tag your Clipper card each time. VTA’s Clipper 2-hour Free Transfer and Day Pass Accumulator features ensures only the required eCash fare is deducted from your card’s balance.
When there isn't enough money loaded onto the card upon tagging, a red light, three beeps, a “Travel Denied Low Funds” message, and the balance on the card will displayed on the Clipper card reader.
Register Your Card
To keep your balance secure, register your card online or by calling the Clipper Customer Service. If you ordered your card online or over the phone, or if you have a youth or senior/disabled Clipper card, it is already registered.
Once your card is registered, if it is ever lost or stolen, your card and the remaining balance can be replaced for a small fee.
Clipper Customer Service Center
TDD/TTY: 711 or 800.735.2929