The Downtown San José Station will be located between Market and Third Streets, below Santa Clara Street.
The concourse and boarding platforms will be underground, with multiple station entrances planned adjacent to Santa Clara Street. The station will include bicycle facilities and convenient connections to VTA light rail service and several VTA bus lines. The station area will be integrated with mixed use development, creating a transit oriented community.
San José’s Downtown is home to over 250 restaurants, nine theater venues, numerous art galleries, and many event venues that host unique festivals and special events. The Downtown Area includes San José State University, San José City Hall, the artsy SoFA district, the bustling San Pedro Square, and the Convention and Cultural Districts’ diverse performing arts offerings.
In recent years, San José’s Downtown has seen a resurgence with additional innovative tech companies, local retail and restaurants, and multiple residential towers. All this and more will be accessible and within walking distance from the future Downtown San José Station.
Downtown San José Station at a Glance
- 24,300 daily passengers projected in 2035
- Underground station below East Santa Clara Street
- Below-ground concourse and boarding platform levels
- Streetscape improvements proposed along Santa Clara Street
- Proposed Transit-Oriented Joint Development, which is walkable, mixed use development that is located close to transit
- Main entrance located on the VTA Block, between Market Street and 1st Street, on the north side of East Santa Clara Street