Santa Clara County voters have approved 2016 Measure B, a 30-year, half-cent countywide sales tax to enhance transit, highways, expressways and active transportation (bicycles, pedestrians and complete streets). A countywide sales tax provides a local revenue source that can be leveraged to help obtain additional funds through regional, state and federal fund sources. The measure passed by nearly 72%, the highest level of support for any Santa Clara County transportation tax. Collection of the tax began on April 1, 2017.
Visit 2016measureb.vta.org for financial details about the projects, funding categories and areas you care about most. The site provides a window into the measure's revenue and expenditures, one more example of VTA's commitment to transparency.
LOCAL STREETS & ROADS
Local Streets and Roads: Road repairs and improvements and congestion relief projects. Complete Streets requirement. All cities/towns receive funds.
BART SILICON VALLEY PHASE II
BART PHASE II: Downtown San Jose & Santa Clara. Six miles, four stations. New regional rail corridor. Links to major transit
BICYCLE & PEDESTRIAN
Bicycle and Pedestrian Program: Eliminate bike/ped gaps. Improve connections, mobility. Safer, more convenient.
- Bike & Ped Program Guidelines
- Bike & Ped Planning Studies Grant Criteria
- Bike & Ped Capital Project Grant Criteria
- Bike & Ped Candidate Project List (Attachment A)
CALTRAIN GRADE SEPARATIONS
Caltrain Grade Separations: Separate tracks from roadways. Safer for pedestrians, bicyclists. Reduce traffic congestion.
CALTRAIN CORRIDOR CAPACITY IMPROVEMENTS
Caltrain Corridor Capacity Improvements: Expand ridership capacity. Level boarding. Countywide service improvements.
Highway Interchanges: Connectors, on/off ramps, widening. Improve connectivity, safety, reduce congestion.
County Expressways: Intersections/interchanges, widening, grade separations. Reduce congestion, improve connections.
STATE ROUTE 85 CORRIDOR
State Route 85 Corridor: Corridor transit study. Transit and congestion relief project. Noise abatement.
Transit Operations: Increase bus frequency. First/last mile connections. Programs: seniors, disabled, low-income, students.
Download the 2016 Measure B Program Annual Report for FY 2021 by clicking below.
FY 2021 Annual Report
Other languages: Español (Spanish) • Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese) • 中文 (Chinese - Traditional) • 한국어 (Korean) • Tagalog
2016 Measure B Currently Open Call for Projects
Monthly 2016 Measure B Program Placemat Update
Download the 2016 Measure B Update for February 2023
2016 Measure B Update for February 2023 (Text)
Local Streets and Roads
- Reviewing ongoing reimbursement requests.
- Allocation through FY23: $270.7M
- Expenditure through February 2023: $154.5M
BART Phase II
- No 2016 Measure B activities in February 2023.
- Allocation through FY23: $150M
Bicycle & Pedestrian
- Capital Projects: Executed the funding agreements for the Los Gatos Creek Trail Connector project and the El Camino Real Pedestrian and Bicycle Improvements project.
- Planning Studies: Received six applications for the competitive grant program.
- Allocation through FY23: $56.4M
- Expenditure through February 2023: $4M
Caltrain Grade Separation
- Continued development of funding agreements.
- Allocation through FY23: $71M
- Expenditure through February 2023: $517K
Caltrain Corridor Capacity Improvements
- Executed funding agreement for the EMU Hybridization Study.
- Executed Diridon Stn. Tech Supp & Analysis funding agreement amendment.
- Allocation through FY23: $42.5M
- Expenditure through February 2023: $4.4M
- Continued development on the Noise Abatement Study Technical Update RFP documents.
- Allocation through FY23: $364.8M
- Expenditure through February 2023: $112.2M
- Almaden Expressway/Camden Ave: Installing grade sidewalks and ramps.
- Allocation through FY23: $50M
- Expenditure through February 2023: $23M
SR 85 Corridor
- SR 85 Noise Reduction Phase 2: Continued progress in the environmental and design phases.
- Allocation through FY23: $14.5M
- Expenditure through February 2023: $3.1M
- Innovative Transit: Palo Alto is preparing for the launch of its on-demand service.
- Expand Mobility & Affordable Fares: Sold 1,399 passes via six community partners in February.
- Allocation through FY23: $112.8M
- Expenditure through February 2023: $95.5M
- Working with independent auditor on the 2016 Measure B annual performance audit.
- Continued development of FY24/FY25 Biennial Budget & 10-year Program.
- Allocation through FY23: $15.2M
- Expenditure through February 2023: $9.4M
2016 Measure B Annual Reports
2016 Measure B Annual Reports
2016 Measure B Citizens' Oversight Committee
Among the provisions of the 2016 Measure B ballot approved by Santa Clara County voters is that “an independent citizens’ oversight committee shall be appointed to ensure that the funds are being expended consistent with the approved Program.” The two primary responsibilities of the 2016 Measure B Citizens’ Oversight Committee (MBCOC) are to provide oversight to ensure that 2016 Measure B funds are being spent consistent with the ballot language and to inform voters on Program compliance. More information on the MBCOC can be found at: https://www.vta.org/2016-measure-b-citizens-oversight-committee
2016 Measure B Program Manual
2016 Measure B Logos
Partner agencies are required to use VTA's 2016 Measure B logo in their collateral materials. The logo is available in multiple formats.
Templates and Reporting Forms
- Capital Projects Complete Streets Checklist
- Capital Projects Complete Streets Checklist Tips
- Project Management Plan Template for Capital Improvement Projects
- Project Management Plan Template for Innovative Transit Projects
- Project Quarterly Progress Reporting Form
- Project Quarterly Progress Report Form for Innovative Transit Projects
Local Streets & Roads Annual Documentation Templates
- Program of Projects
- Pavement Program: Complete Streets Self-Declaration Form
- Pavement Program: Annual Reporting Form
- Congestion Relief: Annual Reporting Form
Bicycle & Pedestrian Education and Encouragement Annual Documentation Templates
Please email us at 2016MeasureB@vta.org with any questions, input, or feedback about this program.