Santa Clara County voters have approved 2016 Measure B, a 30-year, half-cent countywide sales tax to enhance transit, highways, expressways and active transportation (bicycles, pedestrians and complete streets). The measure passed by nearly 72%, the highest level of support for any Santa Clara County transportation tax.
VTA looks forward to working with the community and our partners including the cities and Santa Clara County to advance the investments this sales tax will enable.
Over the next 30 years, 2016 Measure B is anticipated to generate $6.3 billion in 2017 dollars. Collection of the tax began on April 1, 2017. VTA is developing a web presence that will track the performance of 2016 Measure B projects and programs and report how funding recipients are delivering on promises made to the taxpayers.
- VTA’s BART Silicon Valley Phase II: $1.5 Billion. Downtown San Jose & Santa Clara. Six miles, four stations. New regional rail corridor. Links to major transit
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Program $250 million. Eliminate bike/ped gaps. Improve connections, mobility. Safer, more convenient.
- Caltrain Corridor Capacity Improvements $314 million. Expand ridership capacity. Level boarding. Countywide service improvements.
- Caltrain Grade Separations $700 million. Separate tracks from roadways. Safer for pedestrians, bicyclists. Reduce traffic congestion.
- County Expressways $750 million. 20 candidate projects. Intersections/interchanges, widening, grade separations. Reduce congestion, improve connections.
- Highway Interchanges $750 million. 24 candidate projects. Connectors, on/off ramps, widening. Improve connectivity, safety, reduce congestion.
- Local Streets and Roads $1.2 billion. Road repairs/improvements. Complete Streets requirement. All cities/towns receive funds.
- State Route 85 Corridor $350 million. Corridor transit study. Transit and congestion relieve projects. Noise abatement.
- Transit Operations $500 million. Increase bus frequency. First/last mile connections. Programs: seniors, disabled, low-income, students.
The VTA Board of Directors adopted guidelines for each of the nine Program Categories at their October 2017 and November 2017 meetings. These guidelines are intended to direct the implementation of each program category and propose how the program category funds should be allocated.
- BART Phase II Program Guidelines
- Bike & Ped Program Guidelines
- Caltrain Corridor Capacity Improvements Program Guidelines
- Caltrain Grade Separation Program Guidelines
- County Expressways Program Guidelines
- Highway Interchanges Program Guidelines
- Local Streets & Roads Program Guidelines
- SR 85 Corridor Program Guidelines
- Transit Operations Program Guidelines
Transportation projects, especially larger projects, are typically built using a variety of funding sources. A countywide sales tax provides a local revenue source that can be leveraged to help obtain additional funds through regional, state and federal fund sources.
A lawsuit challenging the validity of 2016 Measure B was filed in 2017. Nearly two years after Santa Clara County voters approved 2016 Measure B followed by a drawn out judicial process, the California Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal on a meritless legal challenge. This paved the way for the lower court, which also ruled against that challenge, to allow VTA to begin dispersing the accumulated funding in escrow, as of January 30, 2019.
As the challenge and subsequent appeal worked its way through the legal process, funds were collected and held in escrow until the lawsuit could be resolved.
Citizens Oversight Committee
At its September 2017 meeting, the VTA Board of Directors appointed seven individuals to serve on the 2016 Measure B Citizen’ Oversight Committee.
An orientation for the members of the committee was held on December 5, 2017.
Partner agencies are required to use VTA's 2016 Measure B logo in their collateral materials. The logo is available in multiple formats.
- Download JPEG 2016 Measure B logo
- Download EPS 2016 Measure B logo
- Download Adobe Illustrator 2016 Measure B logo
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, input or feedback about this program.