Provide well-placed bicycle and micromobility device parking to promote sustainable transportation modes.
Place short-term bicycle racks, bike lockers, and private skateboard/scooter parking as close to building entrances as possible.
- Distribute smaller groups of bicycle racks rather centralized racks in areas where there are multiple destinations.
- Reduce bicycle theft by placing bike parking away from vehicular access in high visibility areas. Provide bike lockers where theft may be a problem.
- Consider attended bike parking facilities, commonly referred to as bike stations, at locations where high volumes of bicyclists are anticipated, such as office complexes, transit centers, and shopping centers.
- Provide adequate lighting and signage for safety wayfinding.
- Consider providing bike shelters where long-term bicycle parking is expected.
- Provide complementary facilities such as shower rooms and repair stations.
Provide separate space close to building entrances or in other designated and intuitive locations for shared bicycle and scooter parking that is outside a pedestrian path of travel.
Utilize the Bicycle Parking chapter of the VTA Bicycle Technical Guidelines for guidance on appropriate parking types, materials, placement, and quantity by land use.